When Albany Had a Yacht Club

5

1The Albany Yacht Club was founded in 1873. Its first locations were in Albany near the base of State St. By 1880, it moved to the Rensselaer side of the river, opposite the steamboat landing, but that building was destroyed by fire in 1905.The Club made due in an old building on the Albany side of the River until 1909 when it decided to build a modern and relatively palatial 2 story Clubhouse. The new building, finished in 1910, was located on one end of a pier, leased from the City, across from Maiden Lane. Shortly thereafter the City constructed a municipal “Recreation Pier” on the other end, with a bridge running from Maiden Lane to the pier.

2

3The Yacht Club membership grew with advent of the motor launch. The annual Albany – NYC race and regattas drew thousands of spectators. The events became an integral part of City life.

27296253209_4151c168bc_b

36458538316_82b4c13a62_b

8.jpg

In 1942 the Yacht Club Building took on a new life and the upper floors were leased to the USO for its Albany headquarters during World War II. The building’s proximity to Union Station, packed with trains full of servicemen day and night, was the main reason for selection of the site. When the War ended, the Club returned despite the wear and tear during the War years. But there was still one more life for the building. In 1949, the building was acquired by the federal government, commissioned as the local Naval Reserve Center, and a 3 inch gun was mounted on the pier outside the Clubhouse.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The Clubhouse had survived 40 years, but the inability of the City to allocate the necessary resources to maintain the concrete piers during the Depression and War years, coupled with decades of winter ice and the river’s spring risings, took their toll. A large portion of the pier crumbled into the river in 1946; another hunk broke off in 1952. Although there were discussions about repairs, there were also discussions about a highway to run parallel to the river.

The Yacht Club met in temporary quarters until 1954 when a new Clubhouse was constructed in Rensselaer. Construction was begun on a new Naval Reserve Center on the corner of N. Main and Washington Ave in 1955. The City took possession of the Yacht Club building. Subsequently, the Clubhouse, the bridge from Maiden Lane to the pier and the pier, along with the old Day Line steamship sheds north of the pier, were demolished and the Yacht Club basin filled in to widen Quay St., and create a municipal parking lot.

Copyright 2021 Julie O’Connor

A vision of Albany’s future, circa 1914; Get the flux capacitor

In 1912, architect Arnold W. Brunner was asked by James B. McEwan, then Mayor, to prepare studies for the improvement of Albany. The results were collected into a 1914 book entitled “Studies For Albany,” which I found on Google Books.

Much of what Brunner proposed was grandiose beyond belief, while other proposals were more practicable.

Here are some excerpts from that publication, which contains some excellent and rarely-seen photographs of Albany circa 1914.

STATE STREET
Brunner was critical of the eastern end of State, where it met the river, in ‘a tangle of mean streets and wretched buildings.” Although he knew there was a continuing desire to secure a view of the Hudson River, he acknowledged that clearing the area would only provide a view of the railroad yard. He recommended obliterating this view with a plaza that would screen the industrial scenario. This eventually became what we knew as the D&H Building.

Stvdies for Albany

THE STATE STREET PIER
The State Street Pier, containing the Albany Yacht Club building, was deemed isolated and improperly proportioned.. Brunner redesigned the pier, suggesting concrete paving instead of green fields, and discussed the ongoing replacement of the old bridge that connected the Pier with Quay Street.

THE RIVER FRONT
As for the waterfront, Brunner said, “The Albany water front had long been give up to commerce. Railways, steamships, factories and warehouses had siezed it and ruined it. Their activities were carried on in a slipshod manner without order or system, as may be seen in the accompanying photographs. The devastating ugliness of the old water front can no longer be endured.”

Brunner’s new waterfront would be one of “order and completeness.” He suggested elevating the railroad tracks and concealing them from view, a widened Broadway, freight yards screened away from view by walls and covered passages, and a uniform code of architecture, none of which came to pass.

 

CITY ENTRANCE
Brunner thought the Rensselaer Bridge “awkward and aggressively ugly,”’ and a horrible introduction to Albany. “As we cross the bridge from Rensselaer,” he said, “we find the most deplorable state of affairs on reaching the Albany side, and we receive the worst impression of a neglected neighborhood. There is a dangerous grade crossing, bad roads and a complication of tracks, freight cars and unsightly warehouses. Nothing could be more shabby and unpleasant.”

The imposing structure he proposed was loosely based on the grand entranceways to Bordeaux and Barcelona. It would be high enough to hide the trains on the other side. It’s an amazing rendering.

Stvdies for Albany

MARKET PLACE
Albany’s market place was an overcrowded mess. Brunner suggested expanding it eastward and installing a slightly elevated covered platform up to which vendors could pull up their trucks, and upon which shoppers could examine and purchase goods while being sheltered from the elements.

Stvdies for Albany

SHERIDAN PARK
This was the name for that steep drop-off property between Dove and Swan, extending from Elk Street almost to Sheridan Avenue. Brunner proposed a walking terrace and esplanade with playgrounds and a vehicle scenic overlook.

SUNKEN GARDEN
This was the name for the three blocks between Lancaster and Chestnut, from Main to Ontario, which eventually became St. Mary’s Park. The recommendation was a sunken garden, with decorative flower beds, a fountain, trees, and pavilions.

Stvdies for Albany

BEAVER PARK
Beaver Park, most of which was an unsanitary mess, would eventually become Lincoln Park. Brunner proposed an ambitious project incorporating an athletic field, a swimming pool, a children’s playground, and some monumental structures. There would be a broad flight of steps leading from the track to the top of the terrace; they would double as a grandstand. A pavilion would contain dressing rooms, baths, etc.

Stvdies for Albany

The swimming pool would have two parts, one for swimmers, and the other a children’s wading pool. “It is intended to secure the appearance of a natural lake with sandy shores and bottom and to provide all the delights of ‘the old swimming hole.’” At the lower end of the park would be a children’s playground, with wading pool, sand piles, slides, swings and a babies’ lawn “in front of a shady pergola for the mothers.”

Stvdies for Albany

A new bandstand was also recommended.

Stvdies for Albany

One of the few remaining old houses on the west end of the property was once the home of Dr James Hall, a noted geologist. It was to be remodeled and used for meetings and bad-weather recreation.

house-beaver-park.jpg

In time, much of what Brunner suggested for the park came to be.

 

SWINBURNE PARK
Band concerts were popular here at the turn of the century, so a deluxe new bandstand was proposed, large enough to double as an open-air theatre for plays and cultural events.

 

From Al Quaglieri’s  blog Doc Circe Died for Our Sins