It was built in the 1850s by Thomas Olcott, one of the wealthiest men in Albany, on what was the edge of the residential part of city at that time.
In 1875 it was leased to new Governor Samuel Tilden and then purchased by NYS to serve as the official Governor’s residence. (Before that Governors simply lived in their own houses or leased properties during their term.)
The Mansion has been renovated many times over the years. Teddy Roosevelt needed to accommodate his large family.
During Governor Lehman’s administration, following FDR, Mrs. Lehman did a bit of sprucing up (Eleanor Roosevelt was NOT an interior decorating sort.)
Governor Dewey and wife eat soybeans for the war effort.
In 1961 a fire ripped through the Mansion while Rockefeller was governor, and it was completely re-done.
Governor Rockefeller at a holiday staff party circa 1970.
Copyright 2021 Julie O’Connor